CloudCME & Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education
On December 10, 2020, ACCME announced the new, “Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education” replacing the former, “Standards for Commercial Support: Standards to Ensure Independence in CME Activities.” The new standards have been adopted by the following organizations:
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry’s Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (ARBO/COPE)
- Joint Accreditation for Interprofessional Continuing Education™
It is important to note that compliance with the new, “Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education” is January 1, 2022.
As it relates to CloudCME®, the majority of changes are found in “Standard 3: Identify, Mitigate, and Disclose Relevant Financial Relationships.” CloudCME® will be updating the disclosure, the COI Resolution forms for the current terms, the form selections, and include planners in this process. Additionally, CloudCME® will address the declaration of financial relationships timeframe changes from 12 months to 24 months; and the three exclusions where COI does not apply.
CloudCME® will be making these changes to the forms and system process. While we do not have a timeline to share with you at this time, we do understand the January 2022 compliance deadline and complete all required changes prior to that date.
To learn more about this, please click here.
Chief Accreditation Officer